In this tutorial we’ll show you how to crack and reset Windows password when you forget it or want to unlock a computer with an unknown password. There are tons of recovery tools available to bypass password, but here we will use GParted.
GParted Live is a small bootable GNU/Linux distribution for x86 based computers. Can be downloaded from the following Link:
The basic steps are:
- Load GParted DVD
- Reboot Server
- Access Terminal from GParted environment
- Mount file system
# sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
- Note that /dev/sda1 is the boot partition, whereas sda2 is our data.
- If you get an error due to the Windows partition didn’t close out “safely”, then run the following fix:
# sudo ntfsfix /dev/sda2
- Navigate to the System32 directory
# cd /mnt/Windows/System32
- Create a backup of the “Utilman.exe” file
# mv Utilman.exe Utilman.exe.bak
- Create a copy of “cmd.exe” and name it “Utilman.exe”
# cp cmd.exe Utilman.exe
- Unmount everything
# cd / && umount /mnt
- Click “Exit” from GParted, choose reboot, and then remove the DVD when it tells you.
- Now when Windows boots and you’re at a logon screen, click the “Ease of Access” button in the bottom left.
- Command Prompt should load, type the following:
net user <username> *
- net user Administrator * for example
- Type in your new password and then finally login.